Ivory tower education vs. Practical wisdom

This morning when I was coming to the office, a guy jumped out of a running bus and only by a hair's breadth managed to avert falling on my car. This isn't the worst of such actions that I have seen but this reminded me of something similar from the past and then led to a chain of (un) connected thoughts and finally to this blog.
So during my years at college I used to go home on the weekends and generally carried a small hand bag with me. During one such trips in my first year I had done a similar (to the one by the guy above) stunt and jumped off the bus while it was still moving. This was not the gravest of my sins, what I had done potentially fatally wrong was that I was about to jump off the bus in the direction opposite to its motion. One of the guys in the bus (he was probably a labourer or someone) noticed this and shouted "aage ki taraf, aage ki taraf" (face towards the front) - the words hit me like an arrow with a firehead and flamed in me the thoughts - "Oh shit - damn Newton" and I had only enough time to change my direction to make it perpendicular to the bus so that I could still shift my weight in the direction of the bus motion and avoid falling. I was completely shaken by this act of offboarding and thanked the guy in the bus who had by that time left with the bus as the driver never actually stopped it. Moral of the story - This guy in the bus managed to do what none of my physics teachers or H.C.Verma or Irodov or Resnick or Halliday could. He explained to me the practical significance of Newton's laws. I am not suggesting that Irodov or Resnick Halliday did not make a difference but so did this guy.
In Good Will hunting Will (Matt Damon) goes through a similar conversation with Sean (Robin Williams). Sean tells Will that you might know all about the St. Peter Basillica and who was its architect and what all statues adorn the place etc etc but you would never know what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You might know all about war and war strategies and which one was fought when but you would never know what it means to hold your dearest friend in your lap when he is breathing his last in the battlefield. You might know all about woman psychology but you would never know what it means to wake up besides the same woman for 32 years and hold her.
I think it is one of the best dialogues I have ever listened to. This has forever changed the way i will look at textbook education, rhetorical discussions etc.
Another similar conversation I had with one of my collegues who told me that it is one thing to sign off a document to mobilise 2000 people on a construction site and a completely different thing to actually appreciate what a herculean task it is.
Same is true for all these glossy slidepacks that we make day in and day out without ever appreciating what each box on the slide and each arrow connecting two of those symbolise. All this money trading business without ever appreciating what these companies manufacture or how have they evolved over time and what needs they serve is another classic case in point.
No wonder many people are still debating the topic "Whether Elite Institutions Produce Best Leaders". I would say there is no connection between the two. Education is very important no doubt but not sufficient. And so those who manage to couple their education with good understanding of the world do wonders and others dont. Similarly even if one has not had a lot of formal education but all the practical wisdom, one can still be succssful by duly compensating for his/her lack of education by surrounding him/her with the right kind of people.

How many of us (engineers) can take our car's apart and reassemble them or even repair minor problems? This could be a good starting point for getting our hand's dirty may be. It should put us in the right mindset of being able to learn things end to end and then re-apply them to new and more complex challenges. not just peripherally look at things and use the cliched "I dont like to get into details" kind of reasons. This will help us understand the consequences of the decisions, we suggest should be made.

And I think this in the end is what makes all the difference. Many people can write about war but few can fight it. Almost everbody in the current economic crisis is perhaps criticizing their big bosses for rolling out the redundancy programmes but very few can suggest an alternative or can even understand what it means to go to bed when you are sitting on top of a billion dollar conglomerate. Someone told me that the most difficult decision I will ever make in my life would probably be to fire someone and may be someone who would have invited me home for dinner in the past and whose children would not believe that I fired their Dad. And no MBA course will ever provide me with a handbook of "How to best fire people?" or something like that. Only experiences and wounds from the battlefield can make a warrior.
For me from now on and forever afterwards Practical Wisdom and the guy who possesses it will command a lot more respect than any french cuffed, tie adorning Consultant who has seen not much else than the university campus.

So that co-passenger in the bus that day opened my eyes to the importance of practical wisdom and the guy this morning brought it all back to me in the right context and probably during the right time. - Thanks guys!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very valuable thoughts,interpret with exact incidences and captured in exactly right words!!!
    Very Well Done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice thoughts Kunal!... I'm able to connect the facts which I'm trying to write down through my Shiksha Adhoori series... there is a huge gap between our theories and its implications yet and possibly our education system is still lying to the old examples quoted by the book writers ages ago.... Newton's third law example which I studied was a person swimming along, probably it was the same when my mother studied..... I don't even really know if Newton's thrid law is best explained by any school teacher till date apart from everyone just knowing it as a statement which will be remaining in head because of its rhythm....

    "How many of us (engineers) can take our car's apart and reassemble them or even repair minor problems?" this is rightly pointed out..... leave this apart, how many of us know to repair a small leackage in home... we've introduced a new course called design and lab practice in our department just to ensure that the students should get hands on experience on fabricating / repairing a defect but ultimately we find that its of no use as they are not in a position to justify what could be done and what not and at the end of the day, we end up in telling them each and every single thing... I would still appreciate that course which at least introduce to them something which others don't get exposed to.

    Nice post!....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jasmine - Thanks! Recollection of all these events is a eye re-opener for me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Selva sir: I would personally be interested in taking that course actually. And the thing is all these rhetorical justifications that people demand is only an excuse to run away from learning and exposing oneself.
    I hope you find some takers for this course and other such pursuits.
    And please continue to take your "Shiksha Adhoori" work from words to thoughts to actions. Glad to help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kunal,
    Wonderful post! The bus scene reminded me of a time when I did the same mistake you were going to do (before the man in the bus gave you valuable advice) - needless to say I fell off, but got nothing more than a few minor bruises!
    I haven't seen 'Good Will Hunting', but the dialogue you have typed here is hard-hitting. Very true!
    And finally, I loved the title of the post! :)

    All in all, I am stumbling for proper words to say that this one is a really good post and made me think!:) Thanks for writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the outset I would like to appreciate you for putting such a simple yet powerful thought in the best possible way which actually made me visualise the entire incident. I completely agree with you that Practical wisdom and conventional education are equally important and the the combination of two would bring out the best results. Its really amazing that such thoughts can make you write such a wonderful piece of writing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Archana - Thanks! So now I know I was not the only one who missed the practical aspects of Newton's first law in class...

    Harsh Bhaiya - It was a small incident because the guy saved me in the last minute without know any of newton's laws but you would probably have heard a lot more about it if I would not have turned at the right time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I landed on my bum with a heavy school bag on my back and all the contents of my lunch box nicely strewn on the road, when I broke the first law of Newton! Bravo Kunal! Nicely composed and organized.. Had a lovely time reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ashwin: Thanks!!! Delighted to get a comment on a post after two days of refreshing the comments page every 30 minutes. Hope you were not too badly hurt. It would have been much better life if Newton had never "invented" the first law we all could have boarded and offboarded buses in whichever direction we liked :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi kunal very nice post ...... in the end experience matters but one needs to start somewhere while being inexperienced....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks WanderingSoul. Your anonymity is making me a bit uneasy...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Once again, a well crafted piece of writing from an old friend...I love what WanderingSoul said. Here's my two cents...

    I see the learning curve as a rocket about to be launched in space. School work, books and hours of education gives us enough fuel to attain the "escape velocity" to reach the space...but it's the practicality within us that navigates the rocket.

    So, I am learning how to manage financials...my mentors teach me how to legally do legal things...you know..."go by the books". The one thing that they fail to teach me is how to legally do illegal things (which would of course only come with experience)...look at the funny side, if they taught all that in school we could have had a much magnified financial debacle...anyways...so yeah coming back to Kunal's point, it's the combination of two (education and practicality) that sculpts a leader but the dominance of practicality is what distinguishes him/her...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Parth good to get a comment from you. Your two cents is certainly worth much more than that. Good that you have realised that bookish knowledge will not get us there alone. And I hope with people like you taking charge we will never see a replay of 2008 Financial debacle....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kunal, When is the next one coming?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do nothing - Perfect strategy for terrorists ?

I had failed once...