My Resume

Apologies to those for whom it is a repeat telecast...
My Resume

Most prominent was the name on the top,
though little difference did it make.
Even with a Tom Dunst sitting there,
Little notice people would take.

All the time that I have spent on this earth
Sat right there on the corner of the page
With a sense of remorse on the years I had lost
I looked once again at my age

And the days when I had gone to school,
And the days when I had earned some glory.
Were right there in a nice looking table,
Forming the next part of my life’s story.

It was all there sitting one after the other
My talents, my interests, my skills and my knowledge
And placed arrogantly in a league of its own
Was the name of my prestigious college.

The college days asserted their authority
And demanded a line for every year
Courses, politics, posts and grades
Was all spelled out loud and clear

And here it was, a desperate effort
To prove my worth to everyone
A verbose and glossy account
Of all the work that I had ever done

The memories of my golden days
Came rushing back wanting to applaud
As I browsed through the golden words
Describing the grandeur of my every award.

Printed in black and white
It was my life for all to see
It was all that I had ever been
And all that I could ever be

And yet I knew this is not me
I knew I was more than people were seeing
A professional, a student, and a candidate
But above all I was a human being

Where was the cricket in the neighborhood?
And where were the days I had spent in rain?
Where was the love and care of my grandmother?
When I had come back home wailing in pain.

Where were those fights and those torn clothes?
And those smiles of triumph and victory
Where was the gang of old boys?
And the evergreen backyard mango tree

I searched and searched but all in vain
There was no hint of my childhood
No mention of those fairy tales
Nothing about my Robin hood

I held it up once more against my eyes
This was my life for all to see
This is what I have ever been
And all that I could ever be

And there were others sitting nicely in a stack
The paper version of lives in the blue tray
With hopes and prayers and trembling hands
I added to it my Resume



Kunal Chandra
22.07.2008

Comments

  1. Some repeat telecasts ar worth it.Innovative way of Resume writing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harsh Bhaiya: Thanks - Although this resume style may not fetch us many jobs ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After 'the little space', this for me is one of your best!
    The pride for what you are and the melancholy of memories walking side by side in these lines is very evident. A very creative way of summarising your life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Archana - Thanks! I would say your review of the poem is better than the poem itself. About little space - in few years time i would stop believing I could write it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice poem Kunal.... Very impressive and innovative way of story telling :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to share this one with my friends.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saurabh: Go ahead! Thanks for compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing...reminds of the hours we spent on it ...and never thought the way you have summarized it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yadav: Absolutely - who else but you tuhin mahajan and I can all relate to this so very well... I love to be nistalgic sometimes ....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't help but share it with ppl on facebook.. Do you use fb?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sudarshan: Thanks for good reviews. No, I was obly briefly on FB and then dodged out of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ivory tower education vs. Practical wisdom

Do nothing - Perfect strategy for terrorists ?

I had failed once...