Going Green

Finally I have decided I will write blogs. This decision can partially be attributed to a wealth of spare time that I seem to have inherited almost miraculously in this holiday season (an advantage of working in a Western Headquartered Company) and partially a desire to connect with people.

I work for an Oil company. Oh sorry we now call ourselves an Energy Company and unless you are Saudi Aramco calling yourself an oil company is akin to saying that you are not going to be around in 2108.

Green is the way to go. Future is green; cars, cities, industry everything should adopt one form or the other of green. It is the only way to survive: tactical in the short run but practical in the very long.
Energy demand is soaring and everyone is being urged by governments, green peace, leaders etc. to curb their energy consumption. But I have not even experienced the basic luxuries of life and I am already in the well-to-do class of India. I have not yet bought my first car, not even a motorbike. There are easily about a hundred million Indians like me who will be buying their first cars, A/Cs, flight tickets over the next 5 years. And if the Tata Nano thing is to be believed then that number will become few hundred million.
I read somewhere that still about 60% of Indian population resides in villages and in India there are only about 20 million privately owned vehicles (cars and scooters). In a population of 1 billion only 20 million vehicles which is about 20 vehicles per 1000 people. For Europe that number is about 500 vehicles per 1000 individuals and for US it is about 700.
In future we want to urbanise all of Indian population (heard of Kalam's famous PURA concept?), provide education and a good standard of living, medical care, entertainment and what not. without doing any mathematics one can easliy estimate an order of magnitude growth in the infrastructure requirement, capital investment etc. and to drive it all a huge amount of Energy will be required.
You and I who are privileged enough to post and read blogs have an important role to play. We must conserve so that others might be able to get at least a glimpse of what we take for granted.
If that means that we buy a smaller car and forever shelf our dream of driving around in Gas Guzzlers, then that is the sacrifice we should be prepared to make.

No matter what, we should all go Green and I have already by choosing a green Template to my blog Page.

Comments

  1. Nice way to start a blog, and looking forward for more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice start. Being the first blog it raises the expectations of the readers and this beautfiully written and amazingly articulated blog is responsible for the hunger in me for your blogs. I hope with every piece of writing I would ask for More. So keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice way to start.. I wish people in Bangalore adopt your "Going Green" approach..
    Very nice thoughts..
    Look forward for more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like your way of going green...with green blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ivory tower education vs. Practical wisdom

Do nothing - Perfect strategy for terrorists ?

I had failed once...